My hobnobs are less sweet and more oaty. They’re also vegan if you use dairy-free butter and chocolate like I do. I smother them in 85% dark chocolate but feel free to use one of your own preference. This recipe makes 12.Ingredients
150g porridge oats
120g plain flour
50g caster sugar
100g (dairy-free) butter
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp boiling water
80g good quality dark chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Combine the oats, sugar, and flour in a large bowl. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Turn off the heat and stir in the golden syrup.
3. In a small bowl, mix the bicarbonate of soda with the boiling water before adding it to the butter mixture. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients, taking care to incorporate.
4. Form the dough into small balls between the palms of your hands and place onto the baking tray. Press them down; they won’t spread much during cooking. Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden all over.
5. Let the hobnobs cool on a wire cooling rack. Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Use a spoon to generously spread the chocolate on the biscuits. Let the chocolate set before devouring.