Today I’m officially leaving my twenties behind and beginning a new chapter of my life. I couldn’t possibly be more excited! I’m spending my Birthday doing my favourite things: working on a very exciting soon to be announced project with my dear friend Chloë, eating loads of Japanese food, drinking wine, laughing, cuddling cats, reading (Jim Morrison’s poems at the moment), listening to freakbeat and getting loads of hugs. To mark this day I have decided to share these life lessons with you. Here are the 30 most important things that I’ve learnt during my 30 years.
1. There’s only this moment, live in it.
2. Material things are unimportant. Focus on experiences, making memories and connecting.
3. Don’t dream it, be it.
4. Expressing gratitude and enjoying the little things in life is the path to happiness.
5. Only compete with yourself.
6. Being naked is awesome.
7. Reading is always a good idea.
8. Wear whatever you want because it doesn’t matter what other people think as long as you’re happy.
9. An ex is an ex for a reason.
10. Don’t waste your time waiting for people.
11. When in doubt, watch A Bit of Fry and Laurie.
12. Learn something new every day.
13. Whole foods and yoga are fantastic.
14. The one thing that feels worse than the fear of failure is the regret of never even having tried.
15. Doing work you hate is never worth the money.
16. Dance, dance, dance.
17. Get out of your comfort zone.
18. Only you can make yourself happy.
19. The people who are there for you when everything falls apart are the people that matter.
20. Take every opportunity you get to laugh.
21. You can’t trust hairdressers.
22. There is such a thing as comfortable and attractive.
23. If you don’t like something; your appearance, job, location, name, partner, habits, attitude; change it.
24. Hate really is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
25. Alone-time should be treasured because not being defined by another person is a very good thing.
26. Your thoughts create your reality.
27. Practise thinking outside of the box because we unconsciously look for things that confirm what we already believe.
28. Always de-clutter.
29. You can only do what you believe that you can.
30. It’s not what people say, but what they do that matters.